Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How long before you graduate?

Just from reading a post by a graduating Strathmore student and it challenged me big time. Whaaat! What have I been doing in Uni? What do I expect from Uni? Will I be in Uni forever? Those are some of the questions that got me thinking. Thinking real hard. Jay Sean in the background doesn't help matters at all.

So now, we only have a couple of years in Uni! How well do we spend it. Does it help us being here or does it ruin us further after some 'time wasting' in High School? (atleast for me).

Four/ Five years in University sounds like a long time but ahem, it isn't. Not at all. For example, I was only a freshman the other day (a year ago), now, I only got a year to go. Sad thing is, I'm not sure what i come out with or worse still, what exactly I am doing here! I read that article with some passion and it didn't hesitate in reminding me that I really have a lot that I ignore day by day. It touched me. When I think of parting with long time buddy's, the pain gets worse, thinking of lack of jobs, makes reading the piece even regrettable. We take life so casually down here.It's never a waste of time when we drink ourselves unconscious (and not to attend classes), chase skirts day and night, update on face book how a lecturer should have left class hours ago, and many other absurdities that we are well aware of. It's true that some of this, we can only do while still in college, I totally agree with that, but not at the expense of our future, not at the expense of our country and definitely not at the expense of yourself! If we had nothing to live for, we would have long been eliminated out of this world, after all, it's getting full too quickly.

Truth is, we don't have all the time on this world. Life is all about stages, we are all in one stage or another. Soon, things will always change, either for better or for worse. It's up to ourselves to take time and prepare well for the unpredictable future. That, we can only do now. Remember one of the 48 Laws of power? "Power of now!" We need to keep focus, remain objective and truthful to our earlier goals.

Just needed to remind uni students that, before you count the remaining time you have in Uni, it will already be over. Sit yourself down and think of what you are doing and what you expect to have done. Will you add value to the society?

To all those graduating soon or will graduate soon, best wishes in all your career endeavors. Be good to the society. Remember, we hold the future of this country. If we are rotten, then the country is rotten as much. Good luck.

3 comments:

  1. interesting article hitting the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's the sad truth man. only that it never hits us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said. Think m guilty on all counts. Good stuff lakini.

    ReplyDelete